Sunday, July 31, 2011

VBS & Viruses, Concert & Concrete, BBall & BBQ

As Matt and I are getting ready for our final day in Sisseton, I think about the weeks of emails and meetings to talk VBS, building improvement projects, meals, donated church pews and furniture, school supplies, then trailers and coolers to get it all here. All the lists, spreadsheets, and trips to the store made by the hard-working volunteers.

Then we got here, and our team started getting hit by this 24-hour bug. It never hit everyone at once. It was a blessing in some ways. First, it told us it was probally not something from the food (whew). But in the bigger picture, it also forced a lot of our healthy members into roles that weren't listed on any spreadsheet. The guys stepped into a bigger role for VBS the day the ladies were sick. (I am glad no one was taping our music session that day...) We had five amazing kids step up to help me fix a meal, when I couldn't find the can opener without help. Our two men most experienced in building projects got sick at the same time, and other guys stepped up to get it done. Maybe the bigger blessing of this nasty bug was that while planning is great, we learned we're all here to follow God's plan. I wish He would have emailed us a spreadsheet, but until that happens I think everyone should be amazed at everything that was accomplished for His glory this week, and be ready for more this week!

I am grateful for the 'man week' that I could spend here with my son Matthew, but I am just as grateful for the times spent with my church family that live both in Rochester and Sisseton. I'm grateful for time with unchurched elementary kids we might have to send home on Wednesday, but by Friday those kids were hanging off us asking to help with projects. I'll remember the couple little boys that would never talk or play at VBS, but were laughing after an exhasting round of nerf football at the family concert in the park.

Just getting ready for worship with our Sisseton family on our last day, and found my To-Do list. Still a project that did not get crossed off, but I'm praying that our Team#1 accomplished everything on God's spreadsheet for us! Time for church - leaving MY list in the trash....

PRAISE
1. A great concert by Out Of Time last night. I think it was a great encouragement to the community and built friendships.
2. Many of our Team#1 folks are feeling better for the trip home.
3. The CCC pews are in place at Dakota Alliance for services today.

PRAYER REQUESTS
1. Continues recovery and safe travels for those driving home today.
2. Protection from illness for those remaining in Sisseton this week.
3. God's love shown to the children attending VBS Monday-Wednesday mornings.
4. Safety and sucess for those completing other projects in our church homes here.

JL

No comments:

Post a Comment